Annual Notice

The McKinney-Vento Act:

The Basics

If you lost your housing and now live in a shelter, motel, vehicle, camping ground, or temporary trailer; on the street; doubled-up with family or friends; or in another type of temporary or inadequate housing, your child might be able to receive help through a federal law called the McKinney-Vento Act.


Educational Rights

●     Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.

●     Attend either the local school or the school of origin, if this is in their best interest; the school of origin is the school the child attended when he/she was permanently housed or the school in which the child was last enrolled.

●     Receive transportation to and from the school of origin.

●     Enroll in school immediately, even if missing records and documents normally required for enrollment, such as a birth certificate, proof of residence, previous school records, or immunization/medical records.

●     Enroll, attend classes, and participate fully in all school activities while the school gathers records.

●     Have access to the same programs and services that are available to all other students, including transportation and supplemental educational services.

●     Attend school with children not experiencing homelessness; a school cannot segregate a student because he or she is homeless.


Available Transportation

●     Students will be provided transportation by the School District of Florence County’s transportation services.

●     If this is not feasible because of the temporary placement, arrangements will be made by the district.



●     Students will be eligible for free lunch under the regular school lunch program.  Extra charges (e.g. Ala Carte) are not considered the regular school lunch program.

●     Students will not be charged fees that would cause a barrier to the student’s education

For more information, please contact Brandon Jerue, School District of Florence County Education for Homeless Children and Youth Liason.  715-528-3215 Ext. 1201 or